Re: Jewish VEEP -- does it mean anything?

Author:Ravi Nanavati
Posted:8/7/2000; 3:23:16 PM
Topic:Jewish VEEP -- does it mean anything?

I disagree. Every time Lieberman's faith came up in the pre-pick discussions I'd watched or read it was a negative, not a positive. The impression I got was that there were substantial chunks of voters, even among Gore's own base who would be less inclined to vote for the ticket with a Jewish VP. In other respects Lieberman is a very good pick. He's a centrist, so he will help Gore appeal to swing voters and he was the first Democrat to publicly criticize Clinton about Lewinsky, so he helps Gore distance himself from the administration's scandals.

I don't think Gore expects Lieberman's faith to sell his ticket. Instead, I think Gore wants his ticket to be sold because he made a risky, principled VP pick. Whether that is also slimy and manipulative is another story...