Re: Dave vs. the Bees

Author:Jim Stegman
Posted:8/15/2000; 11:10:28 AM
Topic:Dave vs. the Bees

m curious, since the yellowjackets reportedly don't sting

I guess it depends on exactly what species you mean when you say "yellow jacket". I guarantee the bugs that we call yellow jackets in the Cincinnati area do sting!

Last month I was mowing the grass in my front yard, and mowed over a nest that I was unaware of. Immediately I received 3 stings. I'm also allegic to honey bee stings, so I was pretty worried about it. Fortunately the stings only swelled up a little. (tablespoon-sized) But the stings noticeably hurt for several days and itched for a week or more.

Last week I tried the low-tech approach at trapping these guys, by filling a 2-liter with sugar water. Unfortunately I spilled a little on their hole in the ground & I got stung 3 more times!

There are hundreds of yellow jackets in this nest, easily enough to kill someone. I don't get sentimental when I contemplate methods I could use to nuke them! ;-)