Archive of UserLand's first discussion group, started October 5, 1998.
No Semaphores Rendering and Nirvana
Author: Brent Simmons Posted: 1/21/1999; 12:51:20 AM Topic: Troubleshooting a Nirvana Server installation Msg #: 2338 (In response to 1729) Prev/Next: 2337 / 2339
With Nirvana and mainResponder it's best to use no-semaphores rendering.
If you don't, you may sometimes see errors like:
"Sorry! There was an error: Semaphore timer expired after 3600 sixtieths of a second."
Also, no-semaphores rendering enhances the performance of Nirvana. It's better able to handle multiple simultaneous requests. It eliminates page rendering deadlocks.
There are two steps to turning off website framework semaphores.
1) Make sure that all your dynamic sites use html.getPageTableAddress () rather than html.data.adrPageTable.
2) Once that's done, jump to user.html.prefs.useSemaphores and set it to false.
More info about the useSemaphores preference:
Note: this change does not disable semaphores in general. It's very specific, it tells the website framework not to use semaphores to protect the page table address. The website framework was changed so that there's no need to protect the page table address, as long as you use html.getPageTableAddress ().
If you're using semaphores in your own code, they will continue to work as expected.
There are responses to this message:
- Re: No Semaphores Rendering and Nirvana, Kurt J. Egger, 1/21/1999; 4:32:49 AM
- Re: No Semaphores Rendering and Nirvana, Steve Ivy, 1/21/1999; 5:46:22 AM
- Re: No Semaphores Rendering and Nirvana, Clay Hughes, 1/21/1999; 7:03:58 PM
- Re: No Semaphores Rendering and Nirvana, Jeff Imig, 2/5/1999; 6:49:43 AM
- Re: No Semaphores Rendering and F6, Ian Beatty, 4/1/1999; 9:22:26 AM
- Re: No Semaphores Rendering and Nirvana, Michael Zajac, 4/6/1999; 6:22:58 PM
- Re: No Semaphores Rendering and Nirvana, Toni Reiss, 5/24/1999; 2:26:02 PM
This page was archived on 6/13/2001; 4:47:29 PM.
© Copyright 1998-2001 UserLand Software, Inc.