Re: Frontier runtime

Author:Dave Winer

This is the perennial question, we tried doing a Frontier Runtime in the early 90s, but it's impossible to draw a line that works.

We invariably become limited to using functionality that's only in the runtime.

We want to build on all the functionality that's in Frontier.

Development is about choice, and that's the choice we think works best.

Frontier is Frontier, not sliced into pieces and deployed differently in different places.

On the other hand

That said, it's not a sure thing that we will never nail this one. Part of the maturation of the server-side in Frontier 6 may be the identification of a subset that would make a good runtime. But first we need a good ship, a good deploy and a relatively long burn-in on customer's systems.

See how difficult it is to talk about this? You never know what's coming next.