Re: Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/19/1999; 7:13:25 AM
Topic:Why Apple compare Apache on OS X with IIS on NT

As a developer, while Apple's silence on features and a lack of developer releases has annoyed me, I understand and accept their reasons and am willing to forgive them now that I can order it. And they never made me feel my applications weren't welcome.

I don't know what kind of apps you make, but here's why I feel like our apps are not welcome. Because they didn't have the developer of WebTen on stage, but they did have the developer of Apache on stage. Out with the old in with the new. Quid Pro Quo, WebSTAR, WebTen, NetPresenz. Can Apple name the mainstays of the Mac OS server environment? Just say the words and connect with the developers and the people who use their products.

Want to do even better? Build hardware and system software around those products. Express benchmarks in terms of performance delivered to users of those products. Apple knows how to do this, they optimize their hardware for PhotoShop users. The message here was that they are optimizing for Apache. This confuses the users and developers. Apache? What about the software I actually use??

I have three systems running WebSTAR here. I can't even begin to think about replacing those systems with Apache. $4999 doesn't begin to express the costs. What would I convert the CGIs to? Why would I want to do that (me of all people). It would make a lot more sense for Frontier users to upgrade to Windows NT, than to Mac OS X. We can support people on NT. But how are we going to support people on Mac OS X? We can't invest our own time in learning it. Yet of course some of our users will go down that path, and they will bring their problems to us.

I asked Jobs on Tuesday if he had a message he wanted to send to his customers. He didn't have an answer. He did smile. I have no idea what that smile meant.