Feklempt

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/26/1999; 1:03:11 PM
Topic:Feklempt

On the Frontier-server list we're discussing the meaning of the Yiddish word, Feklempt.

Feklempt, which is almost certainly mis-spelled, is Yiddish. Precisely translated it means "breathless with excitement and pride." Both those elements are necessary, excitement and pride.

There's a Mike Myers skit on Saturday Night Live where he plays (in drag) a mediocre NYC woman with her own TV show. I don't remember her name, maybe Kitty? She's very Jewish. At least once in each skit she puts her palm to her chest and exclaims "I'm feklempt!!". Once it was because Barbra Streisand showed up as a surprise guest. In NY Jewish culture a visit from Barbra Streisand is the ultimate in feklempt experience.

That's how I felt when I saw James' page. Excitement that I would feel if he had done the work in any web environment, and huge pride because the work was done in *my* web environment.