Re: Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:10/11/1999; 8:03:08 AM
Topic:Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

http://www.wc.cc.va.us/dtod/xmlrpcb2/clientEg/aggregator.asp is a proof of concept, but it sounds like Akilesh just wants to be a affiliate with limited channels, i.e. be an affiliate but only get updates/news of certain channels.

That makes sense to me. I'd like to sign up to be an affiliate, but I don't want to get updates on all channels, just the ones I deem my clients/users/customers might be interested in.

As for doing it without XML-RPC, it sounds like Akilesh has enough to do XML-RPC, if not with Cold Fusion, he might be able to do it with my ASP code (although there are a couple of server dependencies that might trip him up).

His follow-up question:
I want to use a scheduled task to run a script in a language like Cold Fusion. I'd want this task to read over XML files at regular intervals (like Userland), and use the chunks of information for various purposes:

What he's describing is a reversal of the way that the Aggregator-Affiliator relationship works. In his scenario, the affiliate requests updates, rather than being notified of updates. The problem I would percieve with that is one of potential load on the Aggregator.

I think he could set up an affilate (I'm contemplating the ASP code myself -- I'm still wrestling with how VBScript treats Dictionaries (s)), and it's easy to extract the relevant information. The only question is what you do with it.

As for a turnkey solution (which, I think, is what he really wants), I think it's possible, but we're not there yet. Something has to be done with the data once you've got it, and that needs to be coded.

HTH

David