Archive of UserLand's first discussion group, started October 5, 1998.
Let's talk about macros
Author: Dave Winer Posted: 4/3/2000; 8:12:34 AM Topic: Let's talk about macros Msg #: 15877 Prev/Next: 15876 / 15878
A visualization of macros
In fact, I think macros are really easy! That's why we have them, to make really big things really easy.
Imagine holding a very long string with a very big ball at the end of it. When you flick your wrist, very slightly, the ball moves 10 yards.
Macros can be very powerful. Maybe that's why people have trouble wrapping their minds around them.
Special macros on Weblogs.Com
Over the weekend I documented the set of macros that implement Weblogs.Com. It's just a Manila site, and any Manila site hosted on Weblogs.Com can do the same stuff. So when people have suggestions about the user interface of Weblogs.Com, I wonder why they don't just:
- If you don't already have one, start a website on Weblogs.Com.
- Show me how they want the home page to look.
UserLand wants your mind
This is one of those times when we need some activity with users of our software to help define and drive the process. If you have some spare cycles and are interested in doing something ground-breaking and interesting (and easy!) go ahead and make a new site and play play play (and post pointers here).
If you have questions, or it doesn't work, post post post! Let me know what's specifically confusing. What did you try to do? Pointers please. What did you enter into the page? What didn't work? Did you try to work around the problem? Don't forget to read the docs. (And no complaints please.)
I promise we have much more good stuff coming here. This is how we get it started. Thanks!!
There are responses to this message:
- Missing Pike, Dave Winer, 4/3/2000; 8:27:38 AM
- Re: Let's talk about macros, Robb Beal, 4/3/2000; 10:08:47 AM
- Problems (Re: Let's talk about macros), Robb Beal, 4/3/2000; 10:26:10 AM
- Screen shot of Pike editing Weblogs.Com home page, Dave Winer, 4/3/2000; 11:09:48 AM
- Re: Let's talk about macros, Ben Griffiths, 4/3/2000; 12:17:12 PM
- The Killer Macro - Include, Lantz Rowland, 4/3/2000; 3:14:02 PM
- Syntax [Was: Let's talk about macros], Christoph Berendes, 4/3/2000; 3:19:46 PM
- ETP or Weblogs.com? Was: Re: Let's talk about macros, Keola Donaghy, 4/3/2000; 5:23:34 PM
- A macro is a single-function API, Andrew Duncan, 4/4/2000; 12:17:55 AM
- Unlock The Html object Element, Lantz Rowland, 4/4/2000; 2:56:47 PM
- Re: Let's talk about macros, David Carter-Tod, 4/5/2000; 9:39:37 AM
This page was archived on 6/13/2001; 4:54:38 PM.
© Copyright 1998-2001 UserLand Software, Inc.