web servers controlling devices in your home..

Author:Andrew Wooldridge
Posted:5/30/2000; 10:36:59 AM
Topic:web servers controlling devices in your home..

I read in June's Popular Science (p38) about a new standard coming from the Electronics Industry Association (standard 755.1) which would enable devices connected via ethernet or firewire to communicate and control one another. It works where each device has a web page which contains the logic for controlling that device. I tried to find something on the web about this but to no avail.

It's supposed to be compatible with "HAVI" (Home Audio Video Interoperability) devices. (see http://www.havi.org/)

So not only could you have a web front end to your printer, or scanner, you could have one for your tv, refrigerator, pool filter, etc. etc. And they could "intercontrol" one another.

Heh imagine emailing your frige to order some more food for the party tonight and it already knows that it should tell the tv to order some new movies from blockbuster or something based on your accumulated friend's interests on the web party survey you posted earlier that day..

The mind boggles.

UPDATE: I tried to find info about this on popular science's site, but all I could find was this. http://www.popsci.com/hometech/features/hurried_cooks/