Re: investment

Author:Anthony Green
Posted:7/31/2000; 10:56:40 AM
Topic:investment

I think what we sell for $899 is a bargain, compared to what the competition charges.

Indeed. But with companies abandoning CMS solutions like Vignette in favour of custom build applications, is this still a selling point ?

Nearly all of the software i have at home is pirate. But if i didn't have it how could i learn the skills that got be the job in IT companies where it is licensed ? What software to I legitamately own ? Well the stuff i couldn't get from warez sites and was cheap enough for me I *felt* I could afford.

Would I legitamately buy a copy of Photoshop if it was £60 instead of £600. Damn right. Why isn't Photoshop on every computer in the world ? What if it was the price of Tekkon 3 which would you buy for your kids ?

Even at that price people would still be buying pirate copies, but how many new legitimate customers would you gain to offset the losses of the pirates.

If other people don't think so, the solution is to not use the product.

Fair enough.

Last year I got my girlfriend to buy my copy of Frontier as shes a student and could get it for $100. I'm a former artist, now a HTML programmer and music promoter. I've never used it in a commercial capacitity and will probably never get to (programming, server administation at that level is a bit beyond me) though i share Daves vision of a community online. I loved the sound of the product and just wanted to tinker a bit with it.

These days I think Manilla is more my level of aptitude. So I use my copy of Frontier as a personel web server and play around with that. Creating, destroying, creating again. One day I'll built my dream website , and it'll be in Manilla.

Do I regret my purchase ? Not for a moment. Dave makes great software. Its worth $900. Shame I just don't have that kind of money.

Tony