Re: Amazon's Cluelessness

Author:Mark Nottingham
Posted:9/4/2000; 12:18:53 PM
Topic:Amazon's Cluelessness

FWIW, I'm in the US, and haven't received it either; it could just be taking a while to mail to the entire list.

For sure, the Amazon servers in the US aren't bound by UK data protection laws

I'd double-check that; it may be that by doing business in the UK (both by virtue of having a subsidary there, and by sending material, and billing, to your address), they very well may be bound by the data protection laws when doing business with you.

The conversations I've had seems to indicate that whenever a business that is even slightly european transacts with a european citizen or resident, they're bound by the data protection laws. (once again, IANAL).