Why Redirect is a bad idea

Author:Adam Butler
Posted:11/5/1999; 12:34:31 PM
Topic:Why Redirect is a bad idea

I think sites who use a "redirect" server to track outgoing are selfish, and completely annoying.

ScriptingNews is not the first, nor the last. But this weeks troubles with server connections at Userland highlights the problems with the scheme: If the redirect server won't respond to my request, I can't follow a link to another site without manually entering the URL in a location window (or editing it.) This defeats some one the beuaty and openness and "linkability" of the web.

- adam