Multiple console sites

Author:David Theige
Posted:4/24/1999; 6:24:48 AM
Topic:Nirvana is getting closer...

André Radke: David, I think my previous suggestion of just creating a copy of consoleSite won't get you very far because both consoleSites will be sharing the consoleData.cache table.

While this is true, I don't think that it is the *real* problem. I think that the default page in the second console site grabs the wrong news text not from the cache, but rather from the first console site's discussion group. Take another look at consoleSuite.getMsgTable. Here's the first line:

try {delete (@consoleData.cache.msgtable)} // disabled caching; Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:45:05 GMT by AR

(This raises the question: Does consoleData.cache need to exist on disk at all?)

I think that the main reason that creating a copy of consoleSite causes the two sites to step on each other's data is (as I previously pointed out <http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$5248>)that consoleSuite.getMsgTable was specifically referring to the original consoleSite with this line:

with consoleData.servers.[consoleSite.["#newsServer"]] {

See also: <http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$5250>

I am able to preview and edit the news in both my console sites with this change. (Yes, I've made a few more minor changes).