Re: Your favorite web-based DG interfaces?

Author:Kate Adams
Posted:1/5/2000; 4:38:40 PM
Topic:Your favorite web-based DG interfaces?

Hmmm. If you respond to a story (or respond to a response to a story) Manila does say "In response to (the name of the story)". I came here to post a note saying that was one feature I do like!

I gave up on the Slashdot discussion interface for several reasons:

First, their page always seemed dog-slow (even at work). That may have been a perceptual thing - I don't mind waiting a few seconds for a single message I'm interested in, but waiting longer for a list of stuff, most of which I'm not interested in, drives me nuts.

Second, I don't like the ratings. I'll decide what authors or subjects interest me, thank you. (However, I kind of would like a filter to not show anything posted by an "anonymous coward" sometimes...)

Third, the whole site just bothers my eyes - even after switching to Verdana per Cameron. It's so messy and complicated that I never, until you pointed it out, saw the UI for changing the sort order, threshold, etc.

Fourth, for some reason the quality of most of the posts seems lower than on most Frontier discussion groups. Slashdot has some great posts to be sure, but the signal-to-noise ratio is not what I would like most of the time.

Back to Manila, I would like a way to auto-quote parts of what I'm responding to. But this is probably a limitation of the browser interface?

-Kate