Private Business Matters

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/13/2000; 3:30:06 PM
Topic:First Amendment

Scripting News is powerful public platform. In my opinion, you abused that platform by taking a private business matter public and making it personal.

I was just talking with Dan Gillmor at the SJ Merc today about this.

There is no "private business matter" here. Before you start abusing your platform, be sure you're on a strong foundation. You are not. I typically do not sign NDAs (ask Microsoft) only in very rare circumstances when I am sure I will not have to explain something to my readers will I enter into a "private business matter". This is one of the most offensive things I have to deal with, a reckless attack on my integrity. Wise up Bryce, who ever you are.

In this case, our readers knew there was a problem, it couldn't be hidden from them, in fact we needed their help to get to the bottom of it.