Archive of UserLand's first discussion group, started October 5, 1998.
vision: purposeful online community for all human beings...
Author: Kishore Balakrishnan Posted: 7/9/2000; 6:58:36 AM Topic: vision: purposeful online community for all human beings... Msg #: 18400 Prev/Next: 18399 / 18402
my first post... thanks in advance for reading... the following is my vision... something similar to this already exists in the form of epinions.com , photo.net etc but not exactly - please advise
Background - A vision has hit me.
I have learnt a lot about the web ( esp. life,living, etc ) in the last 3 years from:
Joel states I suspect that if you read all the books that I've read, you will come not only to understand me, but you'll start to think like me, too.
How true! I am trying to think like Phil, Jakob, Dave and others who inspire me with their contributions on the web.....
Vision / Idea I have been looking at yahoo.com, webring.org, epinions.com , amazon.com , google.com too... Why are they successful ??? Why does everyone like these sites more than others ??? It is probably ONLY because of the brilliant minds of the people who manage these sites... and the features available
Please see Building an Online Purposeful Community
My vision is to learn from and contribute to an online community that allows ALL human beings to participate ( something similar to epinions.com... but the key object is people )
Fundamental point : Please see http://www.weblogs.com/hotList (The 100 sites most-linked-to by the Weblogs)
I am thinking of a similar "hotpeople" list or a wwwOfRealPeople.net ( along the lines of photo.net )
- list of people: name, email, personal website, interests
- everyone should be able maintain a list of "peers" and assign "my best" , "recently met" and comment... on them briefly on "why they like them" etc
- ( i can list the other features if you are interested)
- currently, it has been sheer luck that i have come across Phil Greenspun, Jakob Nielsen, Dave Winer on the web -> But with the availability of this community... it will be easy for us to educate people... anyone ( kid, student, employee, employer ) can learn from the best minds in the world based on his interests
- we can easily come out with a list "10/100/1000 most influential people" on the web, on photography, designers etc
I have been thinking about this idea for some time now... and it is better now than later...
Do you like these ideas ?
It would be great if someone ( or many ) can help me realise this vision
Once again, Thanks for reading, Kishore.
ps: I maintain a "hotpeople" list at http://kishore.editthispage.com/people - I am just trying to think of the best way to maintain all our lists
"let's make things better"
There are responses to this message:
- Re: vision: purposeful online community for all human beings..., Dave Winer, 7/9/2000; 9:44:20 AM
- Re: vision: purposeful online community for all human beings..., Russell Lipton, 7/9/2000; 10:31:32 AM
- Re: vision: purposeful online community for all human beings..., Dave Winer, 7/9/2000; 11:20:38 AM
- Re: vision: purposeful online community for all human beings, Paul Snively, 7/9/2000; 1:05:42 PM
- Re: vision: purposeful online community for all human beings..., Steven Vore, 7/9/2000; 8:19:57 PM
- Re: vision: help with creating a prototype..., Kishore Balakrishnan, 7/10/2000; 7:04:43 AM
This page was archived on 6/13/2001; 4:55:36 PM.
© Copyright 1998-2001 UserLand Software, Inc.